The Other Wes More
Are we products of our environment or products of our expectations? What does this question mean to you? Think about your own life and the experiences you have had
The topic of whether we are products of our environment or our expectations has been on my mind a lot since watching "Afternoon of Conversation: The Other Wes Moore – One Name, Two Fates." This topic, in my opinion, asks if our lives are determined by our upbringing or by the aspirations and convictions we establish for the future. Some believe that the primary factor is the environment. I agree that the environment is powerful. However, I believe that expectations have more power since they affect how we react to challenges, pressure, and decisions. Where we begin can be influenced by our surroundings, but our progress is determined by our aspirations.
According to the Wes Moore video, these young Black male students in Baltimore had similar upbringings, including the same first name, the same city, and risk factors, stress, and difficulties. However, the course of their lives was entirely different. One Wes Moore went on to become a leader, author, and Rhodes Scholar. The other Wes Moore spent the remainder of his life behind bars. Both men would have had the same outcome if the environment had been the only factor. However, the video demonstrates how Wes's path was drastically altered by expectations, including those of his family, mentors, instructors, and even himself.
People frequently "rise or fall" to the level of the expectations that are placed on them, according to Wes Moore. I found that really interesting. His mother had higher expectations for him. He was pushed by his teachers. Leaders had faith in him. He was surrounded by individuals who challenged him to go beyond his surroundings. Expectations gave direction, but they did not eliminate effort. The other Wes, however, lacked those encouraging expectations. Sadly, his choices were a reflection of his lesser goals for himself.
For this reason, in my opinion, expectations are more powerful than the environment itself. Looking back at my own past, I can see that while my surroundings shaped me, my future was shaped by expectations. I'm a first-generation college student. I'm attending NJCU. Biology is my major. My career goal is to become a veterinarian. There were no luxury resources, science camps, honors labs, or pricey tutors in my environment. I have a commute. I manage my responsibilities. I've had to deal with pressure, worry, and financial difficulties. My path was not made easier by my surroundings.
But I continued to move because of my aspirations.
I am confident that I'll do well in college.
I expect to finish this major.
I expect that I will make it through challenging biology tests and chemistry laboratories.
I expect that my future will far exceed my beginning.
Expectations also influence the development of identity. We actually shape who we think we are becoming when we set expectations for ourselves. Our thinking, self-control, and behaviors are shaped by our expectations. Even on difficult days, I will work like someone who aspires to become a veterinarian because that is my goal. Someone will only be able to meet that low standard if they have low expectations for themselves. For this reason, I believe expectations to be rules rather than merely beliefs. They serve as a blueprint for the future we desire. Our life's vision is shaped by our expectations.
Hi, Gellian!
ReplyDeleteI can really understand where you're coming from in your perspective that expectations have more power than the environment. In my case I do believe that we are impacted by both of them with the same intensity. Your mention about how both Wes Moores started from similar circumstances but ended up living completely different lives truly highlights your main argument of how expectations can change someone’s path. I also like how you connected this idea to your own journey, when your are full of determination and believe in yourself it is reflected in your strong expectations and will to aim for success even when the environment isn’t ideal. Great Job!
Gellian,
ReplyDeleteYou are going to be an awesome veterinarian! You have a strong and convincing argument about the power of expectations, even greater than environment.
You stated: "Expectations also influence the development of identity. We actually shape who we think we are becoming when we set expectations for ourselves. Our thinking, self-control, and behaviors are shaped by our expectations. Even on difficult days, I will work like someone who aspires to become a veterinarian because that is my goal. Someone will only be able to meet that low standard if they have low expectations for themselves. For this reason, I believe expectations to be rules rather than merely beliefs. They serve as a blueprint for the future we desire. Our life's vision is shaped by our expectations."
Thanks for an inspiring blog!
Professor Knauer